Arnab Goswami Age
|Arnab Goswami Age||49 years|
|Date of Birth||07-03-1973|
|Profession||Managing Director & Editor-in-Chief|
What is the age of Arnab Goswami?
Born on 7th March 1973, Arnab Goswami is currently 49 years. While this journalist is now working with Republic TV, he has earlier worked with many news channels like NDTV, Times Now, and the Telegraph.
Biography of Arnab Goswami
Arnab Goswami has always been popular as a journalist and the Managing Director of the Republic TV channel. As he moved ahead in his career, many people appreciated his work, winning many awards for his presentation skills.
|Full Name||Arnab Ranjan Goswami|
|Date of Birth||7th March, 1973|
Even when Arnab faces the camera during shows or while delivering news, he looks quite elegant for a stout silhouette. While the height of this journalist is equal to 5 ft. 11 inches, his body weight is equivalent to 68 kg. Besides, you will always find Arnab wearing a dark blue coloured suit when he is presenting news or attending any event. He also looks elegant due to his black eyes and hair.
|Height in centimeters||180 cm|
|Height in meters||1.8 m|
|Height in feet||5 ft. 11 inches.|
|Weight in Pounds||150 pounds|
Arnab Goswami Family
Born and brought up in Guwahati, Arnab Goswami has always followed the traditions of a well-cultured Assamese family. While his father, Manoranjan Goswami, served in the Indian Army in the 1960s, he is now a retired colonel. Soon after retirement, his father started working with the Bharatiya Janata Party and was unsuccessful in the general elections of the Lok Sabha held in 1998. Moreover, Manoranjan Goswami has written many books and columns apart from his usual profession. He also received the Assam Sahitya Sabha Award in 2017. On the other hand, Arnab’s mother, Suprabha Gain-Goswami, has also written many books. This journalist also has a sibling who is currently married and is serving in the Indian Defence Force, just like his brother-in-law.
Regarding Arnab’s grandfather, Rajani Kanta Goswami, his paternal grandfather, was a professional lawyer. Besides, Gaurisankar Bhattacharyya, his mother’s father, was a legislator with the Communist Party of India. Mr Bhattacharyya has also worked as a leader of the opposition party for numerous years. Arnab’s uncle, Siddhartha Bhattacharya, is also associated with a political party. While he is presently a member of the Assam Legislative Assembly, he was also the head of the BJP’s unit in Assam till 2015.
Arnab Goswami Education
As Arnab was known to be the son of an army officer, he used to attend many schools across different regions of India. Soon after completing his early education at Mount St Mary’s School, New Delhi, he completed his 12th standard from Kendriya Vidyalaya. This educational institute was situated in a military garrison of Jabalpur. A bit later, Arnab pursued his graduation in Sociology from the Hindu College, which is affiliated with Delhi University.
Additionally, this journalist also attained his Master’s Degree in Social Anthropology. While he was studying for post-graduation, he was known as a Felix Scholar at St. Antony’s College, associated with Oxford University. Later, Arnab had the privilege of being Visiting DC Pavate Fellow at the International Studies Department of Sidney Sussex College.
|School||Mount St Mary’s School|
|Passing Year||Not Known|
|Graduation||Hindu College associated with Delhi University|
|Passing Year||Not Known|
|Master’s Degree||Master’s in Social Anthropology|
Arnab Goswami Marriage Life
At present, Arnab Goswami is married to Samyabrata Ray Goswami. His wife is also working as a journalist, and she is the co-owner of Republic TV. While Arnab and Samyabrata live happily with one another, they have a son. Their son’s name is Che Goswami, and they thought about naming him after the Marxist revolutionary Che Guevara.
Arnab Goswami Career
Soon after completing his education, Arnab embarked on his career with The Telegraph. While he started working as a journalist in Kolkata, he worked with The Telegraph for a short period. He then relocated to Delhi and started working for the news channel NDTV. Moreover, he worked with NDTV for a decade since 1996. During his tenure, he presented himself as an anchor for ‘News Tonight’, a programme on DD Metro. But, as the journalist played the role of a host for Newsnight, he received an award for the Best News Anchor in 2004.
Later in the year 2006, Arnab discontinued working with NDTV and joined the most popular channel, Times Now. Apart from his main show, The Newshour, Arnab was also the host of Frankly Speaking with Arnab. During that year, he used to feature many personalities like Hillary Clinton, Benazir Bhutto, Gordon Brown, Hamid Karzai, and Dalai Lama. To his credit, Arnab was also known as the first individual to interview our prime minister, Narendra Modi.
However, as time flew, Mr Goswami, working with Times Now, thought about resigning from the position on 1st November 2016. According to him, he didn’t think continuing with the channel was worthwhile because of journalistic freedom and politics across the newsroom. Besides, Arnab’s show, The Newshour Debate, was also paused because it seemed that Times Now was violating certain clauses of the broadcast code.
While Arnab stepped down from his position at Times Now, he was one of the individuals who had invested in Republic TV. But, as a member of the Rajya Sabha, Rajeev Chandrasekhar, thought about joining the BJP, Mr Goswami was later considered as the Editor-in-Chief and the Managing Director of Republic TV. In the month of May 2019, Arnab also acquired the ownership after he bought a huge bunch of shares from Rajeev Chandrasekhar.
The Republic Media Network later stated that Mr Goswami holds more than 82% stake in the news channel. In addition, the organization also owned 99% equity in the digital entity that controls the overall assets of the network. But, when a live show was progressing during the Palghar mob lynching in 2020, Arnab put down his resignation from the Editors Guild.
Apart from his journey with many news channels, Arnab Goswami has also written a book named ‘Combating Terrorism: The Legal Challenge’.
Most of the time, Arnab has always been accused due to opinionated reporting. In those instances, his statements always signify the support he shows towards BJP and Hindutva. Moreover, there are many controversies regarding this journalist.
- During May 2017, Shashi Tharoor filed a case in the Delhi High Court against the news channel Republic TV and Arnab Goswami. This case was related to the newscast between 8th and 13th May 2017. The news stated that Shashi Tharoor was associated with the death of his wife, Sunanda Pushkar. In addition, after seeking the channel’s response, Justice Manmohan said that a person could feature his own story. But, he can’t call anybody differently.
- In August 2018, many individuals harshly criticised Arnab Goswami on social media. The journalist faced criticism soon after a short-duration video clip went viral. According to the clip, Arnab had called a few individuals shameless while he was discussing whether people should accept foreign aid for Kerala when it was devastated due to floods. He also added that the people criticizing the Indian Government in those instances are ‘paid agents’ and ‘anti-national’. But, after checking the facts, people concluded that the statement didn’t refer to those residing in Kerala. Instead, the statement was actually for “Leftists”, “Tukde-Tukde Break India forces”, and some Twitter profiles spreading fake news about aid from UAE.
- After the above incident, Republic TV was asked to present a public apology when they were unwilling to cooperate in a case related to Arnab Goswami. In those instances, it seemed that Arnab was violating the standard prohibitions on stereotyping. But, people came across many comments on the NBSA that they have engaged in false judicial oversight. Incidentally, Goswami was the one who had come up with the code many years back.
- In association with the mob lynching case in 2020, people filed many reports against Arnab. While people stated that he was delivering inaccurate information, he was using language which could have led to a conflict.
- On 8th September 2008, the police arrested a taxi driver and two team members of Republic TV. It seemed that the individuals were entering the farmhouse of the Chief Minister of Maharashtra without seeking any permission. But, even when the issue was not that big, it eventually led to a confrontation between Uddhav Thackeray’s Government and Arnab Goswami. Towards the end, Arnab said that the Shiv Sena leaders had told the cable operators to stop showing Republic Bharat, which is the Hindi Channel of Republic TV.
- As soon as November 2020 commenced, Mr Goswami was arrested due to the suicide of Anvay Naik. As per his suicide note, Anvay was still under the obligation of paying Mr Goswami and two other individuals. But, soon after the arrest, the Supreme Court released Arnab on 11th November 2020.
- During October 2020, Mr Goswami was caught in a scam that involved the manipulation of TRP. As soon as the police started investigating, they found many WhatsApp messages from Mr Goswami and Partho Dasgupta. After going through the messages carefully, the police concluded that Arnab could manipulate the TRP. Eventually, many people decided to take legal action against Arnab Goswami. The Home Minister of Maharashtra, Anil Deshmukh, stated that the journalist was going against the Official Secrets Act 1923. Additionally, the leaders of the Congress Party filed a complaint as Arnab had gone against the clauses in the Act. However, as the Enforcement Directorate comes across the charge sheet, they found that some channels are always on the verge of manipulating the TRP.
- While Arnab was presenting a show in September 2021, he said that the ISI agents of Pakistan were staying on the 5th floor in Kabul’s Serena Hotel and were supporting the Taliban fighters. But, after observing the hotel closely, the Pakistani panellist highlighted that the hotel only had two floors. With such an incident in mind, many people criticized Arnab on different social media platforms.
Arnab Goswami Accomplishments
Through the years, Arnab Goswami has always been known for his news reporting and presentation skills. So, with this in mind, Mr Goswami won the Ramnath Goenka Award in 2008. Additionally, Arnab was also elected as the President of the News Broadcasting Federation.
Such a kind of federation comprised 78 channels, and it was formed to replace the NBSA. Apart from this award, the journalist was also felicitated with the Asian Television Award in 2003. He also got the Young Achievers Award in 2007. Furthermore, Mr Goswami also got the ‘Assamese of the Year Award in 2010.
Arnab Goswami Net Worth
As Arnab paces in his career, he has always been leading an affluent lifestyle. While the journalist draws a salary of Rs. 1 crore every month, his annual income is more than Rs. 12 crores. But, as of 2022, his net worth is estimated to be $34 million. Moreover, his personal investments are equivalent to Rs. 253 crores, and he owns a few luxury cars.
|Net Worth in Indian Rupees||2 billion INR (estimated)|
|Net Worth in Dollar||34 million USD (estimated)|
Hobbies And Interests
Whenever Arnab is not busy due to his routine, he immerses himself in books. Besides, he also likes to watch movies of different genres. If he takes a long break from his hectic schedule, he will think about travelling to different destinations.
Among his favourite things, Atal Bihari Vajpayee is his favourite politician. Since the journalist also likes to listen to music, his favourite musician is Bhupen Hazarika. Apart from everything else, Arnab likes to eat non-vegetarian food more than anything else.
Regarding his driving force, Arnab states that his force is nothing but to make a considerable contribution to the vision of making India a developed country. So, if the media organization’s team can contribute immensely, that will be the greatest excitement for the journalist.
Social Media Profiles of Arnab Goswami
Even when Arnab is busy with his usual routine, he tries to stay active on different social media platforms. So, let’s check out more about his social media pages and what kind of posts he presents.
On the social media page of Facebook, Arnab always posts about political issues across the globe. Moreover, when you skim through the social media page, you will come across a post regarding the expansion of Republic TV. At present, the social media posts have received a tremendous response, and it has more than 400K followers. However, when you search for the pages with the suitable name, you will also come across another Arnab Goswami social media page.
If you go through the Instagram account of Arnab, you will find only a few social media posts. But, as the journalist is known for his presentation style and communication skills, the page has more than 500 followers, with eight individuals following. Unlike Facebook, this social media page only has images of Arnab standing in different poses.
As soon as you view the Twitter account of Arnab, you will observe many Tweets about incidents across the globe. But, as the journalist has already been famous for his work, the social media account has more than 30K followers, with 86 individuals following.
NOTE: According to Quora, it seems that Arnab is not quite active on social media because he thinks that his shouting will not work online. Moreover, he also feels that if he passes on remarks through short videos, then many social media users will use the remarks to their own advantage.
Facts Regarding Arnab Goswami
- Arnab Goswami is from a family which belongs to a village situated in Assam. But, after a period, his entire family shifted to Shillong and finally planned to settle in Guwahati.
- While Arnab was studying in the 6th standard, he started developing an interest in debate competitions.
- When Arnab worked with Star News and DD Metro Channel, he got an opportunity to work with Rajdeep Sardesai.
- This journalist has always experienced the culture across many regions in India since childhood. He always had to spend his early life in many cities due to his father’s transferable job.
- As soon as Arnab started conducting interviews, Sonia Gandhi was the first personality that he interviewed on television.
- In 2015, Arnab was known to be the first journalist who rang the opening bell at the BSE. During that year, the stock exchange had thought about organizing an event to celebrate the 140th year of success.
- Soon after Arnab’s arrest associated with the abetment of Anvay Naik’s suicide case, many individuals condemned the ways he was arrested.
- As Arnab hails from a family with a political background, he is closely associated with the BJP.
- While this journalist was hosting a debate on Times Now, Mahua Moitra raised her middle finger in anger.
- During March 2015, Arnab came across an entrepreneur driving a luxury car at high speed across the Worli Seal Link Road. But, when he requested the Mumbai Police to take some action, the cops later arrested the businessman.
- Years ago, Arnab had already purchased a house for Rs. 4 crores. But, as time passed, the total price of the house rose to Rs. 14 crores.
- According to an AMA session on republicworld.com, Arnab said that he has a totally different way of driving away stress. While he is still trying to learn the art of managing stress, he listens to the playlist on Spotify when he is driving his car. Besides, food is also something that helps to combat stress. Hence, munching on food items and listening to music are his stress busters.
- During April 2020, many FIRs were lodged against Arnab owing to the derogatory remarks on the Congress politician Sonia Gandhi. Moreover, many people accused Arnab due to his communal nature toward the Congress politician.
Arnab is now 49 years. He was born in an Assamese family on 7th March 1973.
Yes, Arnab was born in a family that hails from Assam and follows the traditions of the Hindu religion.
Presently, Arnab is working as an Editor-in-Chief and the Managing Director of Republic Media Network. Moreover, this journalist has also started a news channel in English with the name ‘Republic’.
While Arnab’s father is a retired Colonel, his mother is an author by profession. In addition, Arnab’s mother, Suprabha Gain-Goswami, also takes great care of the household.
Yes, Arnab has one sister who is presently leading a married life and is working with the Indian Defence Force.