The COVID-19 was detected first in December 2019 in China, and soon it spread across the world. As of January 2020, the outbreak turned out to be a Public Health Emergency of International Concern, and as of March 2020, a pandemic. The Government of India took proactive measures to respond to all aspects of the pandemic.
India maintained the lowest positivity and mortality rates and the highest recovery rates during the pandemic worldwide. Based on scientific proof and international best practices, the Health Department planned the vaccination drive well. Indian vaccine manufacturers have undertaken considerable efforts to develop and manufacture COVID-19 vaccines.
In the spirit of ‘Atma Nirbhar Bharat’ (Self-reliant India), the Hon’ble Prime Minister Mr Narendra Modi led the domestic vaccine research and development program and ensured that the Indian manufacturers got a facilitative environment for vaccine research, development, and manufacture. He visited the vaccine manufacturing facilities and engaged with manufacturers and scientists to stimulate the program for a timely launch in January 2021.
Co-WIN is a digital platform designed to support the COVID-19 vaccination initiative. The platform helps program managers register and track every beneficiary and the actual vaccination process, documenting all vaccination events, generating certificates, etc. In addition, it provides convenient visualization and hassle-free registration free of charge, thus maintaining equity and transparency within the system.
In July 2021, the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare (MoHFW), the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), and the National Health Authority (NHA) hosted a Co-WIN Global Conclave to share the Co-WIN platform as a digital public good. Over 100 countries have expressed interest in using Co-WIN for their vaccination campaigns.
Using Co-WIN, all beneficiaries, vaccines, and vaccination data can be found in one place, along with registration and appointment scheduling, thus ensuring orderly and efficient vaccination campaigns. The vaccination for COVID-19 started in India on 16th January 2021, and the vaccination drive has been the fastest to achieve 17 crore doses in the world.
As per the records of MoHFW, up till February 2022, 180 crore doses are given, and almost 80 crore people are fully vaccinated. The two vaccines administered in India are Covishield, developed by the Serum Institute of India (SII), and Covaxin, produced by Bharat Biotech. The government issues a vaccination certificate released immediately after receiving the first dose. The certificate is mandatory in public places and transportation. Moreover, it can be kept as soft copy for more convenience.
- What Is COVID-19 Certificate?
- How To Book A Vaccination Slot?
- How To Download Covid Vaccine Certificate Through CoWIN Portal?
- How To Download Covishield Vaccination Certificate Through Aarogya Setu App?
- How To Download Covid Vaccine Certificate By Digilocker App?
- How To Do Correction In Certificate?
- Operationalization Of COVID-19 Vaccination
What Is COVID-19 Certificate?
The certificate comprises of all the basic details of the beneficiary, such as name, age, gender, and all the vaccination details. You can find details of the name of the vaccine, the date you received the first dose, the due date of the second dose, the Center of vaccination, and other details under vaccination details on the certificate. So you need to download the vaccination certificate after receiving your first dose.
The Objective Of The Covishield Certificate
All people vaccinated are to receive a copy of the Covishield certificate. The citizens can keep a record of their vaccination, and it will help the system keep track of the number of people vaccinated. You are not required to go anywhere to get a certificate, saving time and money and bringing transparency to the system.
Importance Of Covid Vaccine Certificate
A cowin vaccination certificate is a document issued by a government certifying that the person holding the copy has been immunized to travel internationally. All the details of individuals are mentioned on Covid Vaccination Certificate, including their full name, father’s name, mother’s name, age, date of birth, and address.
The certificate can be printed out with a printer or saved in a PDF format; you can also keep it in other government-supported digital applications. The vaccination certificate is issued separately for the first and second doses. Covid vaccination certificate has become a mandatory document to travel domestically and internationally.
How To Book A Vaccination Slot?
- Go to the official website of CoWIN
- On the homepage, click on Register/Sign In
- Enter your mobile number and enter the OTP you received for verification purposes.
- On vaccination services and click the on book vaccination slots
- A new page will open; fill in the necessary information like state, pin code, or city on that page.
- After that, click on the book slot.
- You will find different book slots, choose the time slot you are comfortable with, and proceed further.
Why Should You Get The Covid Vaccine Certificate?
Vaccination certificates are verifiable proof of vaccination that you can use to show that you have been vaccinated when such a requirement is specified. Whenever a person goes through vaccination, the certificate will show that the government has given the vaccines.
As you present the vaccination certificate, you can avail of many benefits. Even when you don’t plan to travel by air, public transport and various other services consider it as as a vaccine passport. With the vaccine passport as one of the documents, the government allow individuals to move freely in the country and to other countries.
Various COVID-19 Vaccines Across The Nation
As people get infected due to the virus, doctors came up with a special vaccine to treat COVID by boosting immunity in the population on a mass scale. While everything seemed impossible, the experts came up with the vaccines in a short period.
In India, you will come across two vaccines in most places, Covishield and Covaxin. You need to take either of the vaccines to get the COVID certificate. There are eight vaccines available that you can get.
Here is the list of different COVID-19 vaccines available in India:
- Covishield Vaccine
- Covaxin vaccine
- Novawax vaccine
- Sputnik V Vaccine
- Moderna Vaccine
- Corbevax Vaccine
- Zydus Cadila Vaccine
- Johnson and Johnson Vaccine
Further, individuals can take booster shots for COVID after completing the first two doses. The government has started administering such a dose from 10th Jan, 2022. As per the guidelines, people need to take the new doses post 9 weeks after taking both the COVID-19 vaccines. The booster dose’s prime objective is to increase the antibodies and take immunity to the next level.
How To Download Covid Vaccine Certificate Through CoWIN Portal?
Covid19 vaccination certificates can be viewed and downloaded through the Cowin portal and the Aarogya Setu app.
- Visit the authorized website of Cowin, i.e., cowin.gov.in
- On the homepage, click on the register/sign-in button.
- Enter your active mobile number and click on Get OTP.
- You will receive a one time password on your registered mobile number within 180 seconds.
- Enter the OTP in the box and proceed with the verification.
Now click on the certificate option beneath your name to download your certificate.
What are the different platforms to download the COVID-19 certificate?
You can download a vaccination certificate from the Cowin portal, Aarogya Setu app, DigiLocker App, or Umang website by following simple steps.
How To Download Covishield Vaccination Certificate Through Aarogya Setu App?
1. On the Play Store/App Store, search for the Aarogya Setu App.
2. Install the app and log in with your registered mobile number.
3. Click on the cowin button.
4. Enter your 13-digit beneficiary reference ID
5. Download the covid-19 vaccination certificate.
How To Download Covid Vaccine Certificate By Digilocker App?
1. Find the Digilocker app on App Store/Play Store
2. Download the application and create your account or sign in, if you already have an account.
3. Click on the central government tab and select the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW)
4. Press the vaccination certificate button and enter your 13-digit referral ID
5. Click the download button and download vaccination certificate.
How To Do Correction In Certificate?
If any details on your certificate are mistaken, you can change them by below-mentioned steps:
- Go to the official website of CoWIN.
- On the homepage, you need to press on the support.
- Now you have to sign in by entering the login credentials.
- After that, you have to select certificate correction under the support section.
- A new page will appear before you; on this page, you have to choose your correction issue in the certificate regarding name, age, gender, photo ID.
- After that, you have to select a number.
- Now you have to click on the view certificate.
- After that, your certificate details will appear before you.
- You can change the information by clicking on the change.
- After that, you have to click on continue.
- The changes in the vaccination certificate can take up to 24 hours to appear.
How to Verify Your Certificate?
- Visit the official websiteof cowin.
- On the homepage, click on register/sign in
- After that, you have to enter the login details, click on verify, and proceed.
- After that, you have to click to verify the certificate.
- Now you have to click on the scan QR code.
- After that, a notification will spur you to activate your device camera.
- You have to point the camera to the QR code on the certificate.
- On successful verification, the screen will display all the applicant’s details, and if the certificate is not genuine, the website will declare the certificate invalid.
Operationalization Of COVID-19 Vaccination
India’s National COVID-19 vaccination drive is the world’s largest vaccination drive and has been unprecedented in both scale and reach. India’s ambitious vaccine production and administration effort are based on the following fundamental and cardinal principles:
- Prioritization of beneficiary groups according to their vulnerabilities, as recommended by NEGVAC
COVID-19 vaccination drive aims to vaccinate the country’s adult population in the shortest possible time frame. India made preparations related to the capacity building of researchers, supply chain persons, administrators, and mobilizers to achieve this enormous task. The government of India communicated a detailed operational plan through various directives.
- Robust IT framework through Co-WIN platform
The government issued operational Guidelines for COVID-19 vaccination in December 2020. These guidelines detail the administrative responsibilities, capacities required, training needs, supply chain requirements, planning, and role of various stakeholders.
- Encouraging indigenous research, development, and production
Capacity building of the entire human resource has been conducted cascade, from training trainers at the national level to the vaccination teams working at the ground level. A total of 7,600 participants were trained at the state level; 61,500 at the district level; more than 200,000 vaccinators have been trained and 390,000 other vaccination team members.
- Preparing supplies from all available sources, including imports
The effort engages stakeholders from across Ministries and Departments and professional organizations, medical colleges, non-governmental organizations, civil society organizations, media houses, and the private sector. The event is a part of the Jan Andolan (People’s Movement).
- Simultaneous adherence to COVID Appropriate Behaviour
The country utilized the experience of the Universal Immunization Programme and of conducting large-scale immunization campaigns, along with the knowledge of elections (booth strategy) to cover large numbers and varied geographies effectively. The authorities regularly reviewed activities to ensure seamless last-mile vaccine delivery to the intended beneficiaries.
- Administration for Adverse Events Following Vaccination
The AEFI surveillance system under UIP has been amplified for COVID-19 AEFI management and reporting by including experts like cardiologists and neurologists in AEFI Committees at various levels, revision in contents of AEFI and Anaphylaxis kits, training of alternate vaccinators on Anaphylaxis kit, frequent Committee meetings, etc.
Minor, severe, and profound AEFIs that occur after COVID-19 vaccinations can be reported directly by vaccinators and district immunization officers on the Co-WIN app. Health workers and doctors in public health facilities and private hospitals report minor adverse events and any death or hospitalization after vaccination. In addition to entering the data related to the AEFI, related investigation forms and hospital records, etc., can also be uploaded on the app.
You will receive a certificate from the Vaccination Center and a printed copy on the day of vaccination itself. Please insist that you receive your certificate from the Vaccination Center. In private hospitals, the fee for obtaining a printed certificate is included in the service fee (up to Rs. 250 per dose) for vaccination.
You should carry your identity proof selected by you at the time of registration on the CoWIN website, a printout/screenshot of your appointment slip, and the proof of comorbidity (if your age is 45 to 59 years).
Yes, you can get vaccinated with the second dose in any State or District. But, the only restriction is that you will be able to get vaccinated only at centers that offer the same vaccine you received during your first dose.
On getting the scheduled dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, the beneficiary will receive SMS on their registered mobile number. After both vaccine doses are administered, the system will also send a QR code-based certificate to the beneficiary’s registered phone number.
You can call the national helpline ‘1075’ for information and guidance if you experience any side effects after the COVID-19 vaccination. You can also reach out to the Vaccination Center, where you took vaccination, for advice.